Question
Posted by: sharn | 2008/07/16

pregnant

I am SO ANGRY with my sister, she is pregnant and I caught her making herself sick! What are the implications here, it is so selfish!

Dear Sharn
If your sister is inducing vomiting to try and lose weight (a condition called bulimia) or because she may want to harm the baby or herself, then she needs experts assistance before she damages her unborn baby and herself. I would recommend that you persuade her to see a clinical psychologist immediately (your gp will be able to refer you).
If this is just a passing phase because she feels nauseous (a common side-effect, esp in early pregnancy) then chat to her about it without being angry to find out why she is doing it. Suggest that she should eat small meals, avoid fatty foods, eat dry crackers or such an ice cube when she feels nauseous to stop the feeling. If she is seriously nauseous then she should see her gp for a checkup.
Hope you can sort out this problem.