Question
Posted by: Stella | 2008/05/22

PREGNANT

I found out that I was 5-6 weeks pregnant but +- 2 weeks ago I drank "the morning after" tablets called Norlevo. Would this have an effect on the pregnancy at all?

It should not affect the pregnancy.

1
Posted by: VIRGO | 2008/05/22

There is no effect (that we know of) on your baby from the medication. The likelihood of an effect on a pregnancy is very small (almost nonexistent) if the exposure is in the first two weeks of pregnancy because of the "toti-potential" ability of the cells. In other words, each cell has the capability of becoming a whole baby. After two weeks, the cells start to become certain types of cells. So if you damage or kill some cells in the first two weeks of pregnancy, the other cells fill in for the damaged ones. If you do that after the first two weeks, then they can't fill in and parts of the baby may not develop correctly. If those are critical parts, the baby will not survive (you would miscarry), but if they are not critical, the baby can survive and will be born with defects of one sort or another.

Hope this helps!

Reply to VIRGO