Question
Posted by: Carrot | 2004/10/29

Pregnant?

I was due to start my period around the 16th October 2004, however up untill now (the 29th October 2004) i have not started. My partner and I have not used any form of concreception for the past six years as we have thought not to be able to have children. I have done two home pregnancy tests (1 a week after my missed oeriod and 1 today) and both have been negative, I have not noticed any changes in myself other than I have been rather moody, which I put down to pre-menstral. Last night I had very slight bleeding if I could call it that, but nothing further. Could I be pregnant or could there be another reason for the delayed period? Have I tried the home pregnancy test to early? Nothing in my lifestyle has changed. I am rather confused any advise you could give would be appriciated.

It sounds like there is probably another reason for the delayed period. You may not have ovulated this month. Possible causes are stress, an ovarian cyst, overactivity of the milk producing gland, weight gain or loss. As this is the first time it has happened, wait and see what happens next month. If it recurs or if you have other symptoms you should see your doctor.

1
Posted by: ninny | 2004/10/29

I would go for a blood test to rule out pregnancy. Sometimes urine home preg tests simply don't pick it up.
I know a lady who's urine tests were still negtive FOUR months into her pregnancy (which was confirmed by a blood test).
Apart from that, stress and some medicines may cause you to skip a period. Either way, I'd see my gynae to out my mind at rest.
I am currently 12 weeks preggies, and I have no symptoms apart from a missing period, os it theoretically possible that you may be preggies, but don't feel like it.

Reply to ninny