Question
Posted by: eve | 2003/01/28

pregnant?

My boyfriend and I fooled around last night. I forgot to take the Pill for the past few days, so I'm afraid that I might get pregnant. I know it was a dumb thing to do it without a condom - actually he didn't ejaculate inside me, he pulled out before he climaxed, but I'm still a bit worried.

What I actually want to now, is how soon will a home pregnancy test indicate pregnancy? If I take the test today, will it shown whether I'm pregnant, or does it take a few days for someone to get pregnant?

I don't really want to take emergency contraceptives if it's not really necessary.

You need to take Emergency contraceptives within 72 hours or have an IUD inserted before 5 days. That is why it is called emergency contracpetives. However, by the time you do a pregnancy test, about 15 days later, it will be to late to take precautionary measures.

If you leave it to late you might be looking at options of pregnancy, abortion or adoption which is far more serious choices than one day of nausea after EC.

Dr Elna Mcintosh

4
Posted by: eve | 2003/01/28

It was the 11th day since the start of my last period - cutting it a bit close! (But I normally have a 30-32 day cycle). I'm not sure, Reader, I always thought one can get pregnant at any time, the chances are just bigger when I have sex during ovulation?

Reply to eve
Posted by: Reader | 2003/01/28

Hi There, do you know when your last period started. One can only fall pregnant 3 days of the cycle, if I am not mistaken it is around 13, 14 and 15th day from start of your period. Hope this helps.

Reply to Reader
Posted by: eve | 2003/01/28

And is it true that I can use emergency contraceptives up to 72 hours after sex? Just checking if I can first take the home pregnancy test (say 48 hours after sex), and if it turns out that I'm pregnant, THEN take emergency contraceptives?

Reply to eve
Posted by: Nancy | 2003/01/28

a home kit can show you a positive test within a day after conception. I'd say wait another day until the hormone levels are high enough for a reliable test.

Reply to Nancy