Question
Posted by: Christie | 2004/01/06

Pregnancy & walking

Hi doc,
I am currently trying to lose a few kilos so I'm walking 3 to 4 times a week for 30 - 40 minutes at a speed of 4.7 - 4.9 k/h. (treadmill) We're planning a baby and I read your comments in the archives about pregnancy and exercising, but I need to know what is moderate / low intensity in my situation. How many k/h anf for how long and how often (with the doctor's permission) Your advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi Christie

Moderate/low intensity is variable for different people. Certainly what you are doing now is probably moderate to low intensity already. It is a very subjective term though. Often people use heart rate, and while this is sometimes useful, it can be misleading. If I had to give a ball park figure for heart rate (assuming you can use this facility), then I would say that if you have a maximum heart rate of 190 (an assumption, you can estimate yours using the formula 215 minus your age), then anything between 50 and 80% (100 and 165 bpm) would be OK. In terms of walking speed, if you are walking for 40 minutes, then the speed you are at is probably about right. However, it is very subjective, and if you can finish the session feeling invigorated, not exhausted, and you can recover, then you will probably be at the right intensity.

1
Posted by: brozz | 2004/01/06

Hi Christie
moderate to low intensity would be worked out on exercising heart rate so not knowing a age height or weight it would be quite difficult to give you dead accurate advise on this,
but judging on what you have given i would think it was low intensity.

Reply to brozz