Question
Posted by: Peace of mind? | 2004/01/26

Pregnancy & training

Dear Doc. I train daily on a rebounder (mini gym mattress). I run and jump on the mattress for 35 -40 minutes continuously. I've been doing so for the past year and my body is used to it. I am 18 weeks pregnant. Can I safely continue training? I'm asking because someone said I shouldn't be jumping?? I feel very well and baby's fine.

With jumping, there is always the risk of falling on your tummy and causing injury. Remember your centre of gravity will change during pregnancy. Aerobic exercise can be done but you should take care not to push your pulse rate up too high for too long, and not to increase your temperature for too long. You will probably need to cut down on your normal routine.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/26

So long as you're not at risk of falling and injuring yourself, and your heart rate doesn't go over 140 bpm while exercising it is fine to continue with exercise you were doing before. However, as with all exercise, stop if you feel pain or are uncomfortable.
Its not a good idea to start any new types of exercise when you're pregnant.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: sheena | 2004/01/26

when is one not allowed training during pregnancy? what are the circumstances.

Reply to sheena