Question
Posted by: chocolate lover | 2003/03/11

Pregnancy Tests & when to call the doctor?

Hi, please could you answer these few questions for us?..

1) How accurate are home pregnancy tests? (I am 4 days late and got a positive result when testing my urine this morning. Does this mean I'm definitely pregnant)

2) Please could you also advise me on when to call the doctor, my mom said I should wait until I'm 2 weeks late because if I go any sooner there won't be much to see.

3) Is it normal to have a slightly upset stomach with cramps in the beginning of your pregnancy? (I have had this for 4 days and keep mistaking it for my period)

Thank you for your much appreciated advise.

The home pregnancy tests are pretty accurate, but not quite as accurate as the blood test. However, as you have also missed a period, it is likely that you are pregnant. Waiting two weeks to see your doctor is a good idea as more information can be obtained then. Slight cramps are normal in early pregnancy.

best wishes

1
Posted by: www | 2003/03/11

Congrats! I do believe you are pregnant.
Your mom is probably right - if you are 4 days late, that means you're probably just over 4 weeks pregnant (they work this out from the date of your last menstrual period) which means there won't be much to see. I think you can hear a heart-beat from about 6 weeks onwards, so anytime in 2 weeks time would probably be a good time to see your doc. Before that there's not much a doctor will do anyway, except possibly a blood test to double-check the pregnancy. Mine didn't even do that because he said if the home test was positive, the blood test will be positive. So it depends on who your doc is. The stomach I can't answer you on - gynaedoc will be able to tell you. I don't think that it bears any relevance, you probably have a tummy-bug or something.

Reply to www