Question
Posted by: Joan | 2004/01/20

Pregnancy test - urgent

Hi doc

I had unprotected sex 5 days ago (several times). I suspect that I may be pregnant as I am very fertile and have not been using the pill for 2 years (and suspect that I was ovulating during the time as well - ovulation happens 14 days after the first day of menstruation, right?)

Is it too late for the "abortion pil"? If not where do I get hold of it?

The alternative is an abortion - how soon can one establish pregnancy - without waiting for one's period? I am planning doing a home pregnancy test as soon as possible.

I await your urgent comments.

The emergency pill must be used within 72 hours, so it is too late for this. An IUCD can be inserted up to 5 days after unprotected intercourse.
The earliest that a home pregnancy test will be positive is a couple of days after your expected period. The blood test may be positive a day or two before your expected period.

7
Posted by: Norma | 2004/01/20

Well Joan, sorry to say but I'm with Kate all the way, abortion is not the easy way out............!!!!!
If you just see your baby.......I don't think you would do it.
It really breaks my heart to see so many woman going for the abortion-thing and yet there is so many woman that will do anything to fall pregnant.
Why do you have sex, if not using anything and then days later think about the cons..........
Anyway, think you'll have to wait for your next period to know if you are pregnant.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/20

Thanks Ciska but I don't think it really warrants a response. Joan said that she was 'very fertile', obviously she knows that she is able to fall pregnant easily. Hence my suggestion that she learn from the past and be more responsible.

It just upsets me that so many women (who use this forum) see abortion as an easy option. If you have sex (several times!) during ovulation and a couple of days later wake up to the fact that you may have fallen pregnant - well what can I say? You make your bed, you lie in it. It is just a shame that some women behave like this and fall pregnant when they don't want to and others like Lolo battle none stop to have a baby and feel so depsondent. I wonder how this posting would make them feel?!

It's not for me to judge though, but if you don't want people's opinions, you should watch what you post here, this is an open forum.

Thanks for your support Ciska.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/20

Hold on Joan. Kate is probably one of those persons against abortion just as I am. She's just trying to help, maybe not in the way you want. People make stupid mistakes. People must make mistakes before they learn. I hope you learn from this one and not do it again.

I hope you find the stuff that you are looking for. Better to get rid of it, then to be a bad mother or not good enough mother.

Good luck!

Reply to ciska
Posted by: Anita | 2004/01/20

Hi Joan

As far as I know, the average woman should ovulate 14 days before her next period and not 14 days after your period.

As Anon said, rather go for a blood test. A home pregnancy test won't be able to show at this stage.

Good luck.

Reply to Anita
Posted by: Joan | 2004/01/20

TO: Anon - thank you for your kind advise.

TO: Kate - I am asking for practical advise - not irrelevant questions. Secondly, I think there is a different site for philosophical debate!

Reply to Joan
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/20

Too late for 'morning after pills' as far as I know.

How do you know you are 'very fertile'? Have you been in this situation before? If so, you should know all the answers to your questions.

Try to be a bit more responsible, abortion is not just a simple answer to irresponsible actions!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: anon | 2004/01/20

u should really think about going on the pill. but in answer to ur question the , there is the morning after pill, but thats no good for its only effective up to 72 hours after unprotected sex, best within 12 hrs tho. as for the pill which(i believe-but correct me if im wrong)u name as the "Abortion pill" only ur doctor or nurse can inform u correctly about that, i think it induces an early sort of labour somhow.
As far as preg tests go, shop bought ones will only give you an accurate answer from the day ur period is due or some perfer to wait until they are a few days late, i do believe however that hospitals can do blood tests before ur period as a pregnancy test but even then i should think u will have to wait so long before they would say they are accurate also, and then also wait for the test to come back.
no easy answer on this one, many of us have been there,(usually by mistake) but try to learn from it

Reply to anon