Question
Posted by: Visitor | 2007/05/08

Pregnancy Skincare - Is Regim A safe ?

I am pregnant and have been using the regimA skin care range.The night cream from this range contains Retinol and Alpha hydroxyacids (AHA). The company that sells Regim A products indicates in ALL their advertising that it is safe tyo use even for pregnant women. I have even written to them to ask them to substantiate their claims of safety but I'm am still awaiting their response.

The problem is that I have read in many articles that Retinol and AHAs are NOT safe to use during pregnancy. Now I don't know who to believe. Under what circumstances would Retinol and AHAs be safe to use in pregnancy.

How can I be sure that the company's claims are accurate?

What would you advice as the best course of action in this matter?

Here is some information on Vitamin A and pregnancy ' Research has shown that there can be a problem with high doses of retinol (the animal form of vitamin A) during pregnancy. A study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that pregnant women who take high doses of retinol on a daily basis increase their risk of having a handicapped baby. The danger threshold appeared to be daily doses in excess of 10,000iu, which give you a 1 in 57 chance of having a baby with birth defects. Interestingly, also the study also supported the fact that beta-carotene (the plant form of vitamin A) is a safer alternative to vitamin A. Apparently the retinoids (in the animal version) and not the carotenoids (in vegetable version) are the cause of birth defects. Even at high doses beta-carotene does not raise vitamin A levels in the body sufficiently to cause defects in an unborn baby'.
I don't know what type and dose your product contains.