Question
Posted by: Ann | 2007/03/13

Pregnancy Skin Disorder

Hi There,

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant. When I fell pregnant, I noticed red bumps that had developed on my upper inner thigh. They were not itchy or sore but just there. My gynae did originally prescribe a cream but this did not clear them, over the weeks these bumps started to look more like blisters, there have been one or two that have "popped" and disappeared but am noticing that these are starting to spread. There are now two or three that have appeared on my outer labia - still these are not itchy or sore and I have not noticed any unusual discharge and am feeling fine. The only time they did start to itch was when we went to Durban for a week and it was extremely hot & humid there, so I don't know if this is heat related or perhaps hormonal? My husband does not have these and we have been in a monogomous relationship for 14 years. So I very highly doubt that it is an STD I wanted to try for a natural birth but my gynae has recommended that I should maybe look at a Caesar - which I was not considering. My question is, have you ever come across anything as described above? Is there any treatment? Should I consult a dermatologist? Is natural birth out of the question if these "bump like blisters" don't go away? Is there any threat to my unborn baby? Please help, I have seen two gynaes and a midwife and still no solution.

I would suggest that you see a dermatologist. I cannot tell what these are without examining you. Whether you can have a normal birth or not really depends on the diagnosis.