Question
Posted by: Marab | 2007/04/10

Pregnancy hypertension diet

I am 17 weeks pregnant and has been diagnosed with elevated bloodpressure, (as my first preganancy ended at 40 weeks exactly with diagnosed pre-eclampsia,) I am very mindfull of this disease and the treatment thereof. High bloodpressure is gynetically found in my family, along with high cholesterol levels.

Any advice on a low - sodium diet or a diet which can lower hypertension? My gynae suggested that I visit a dietition before he prescribes medication.

Thanks very much!!!

Dear Marab
I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering from hypertension during your pregnancy and that you have had pre-eclampsia in the past. Please for your own sake and the baby go and see a dietitian ASAP. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will work out a low-salt, high-calcium diet for you to help you keep the high bp under control, while still ensuring that you and baby get all the other nutrients you need.
Go for that consultation immediately.
Wishing you all the very best for your pregnancy

1
Posted by: kosie | 2007/04/11

bly weg van pille af, probeer om nie baie gewig op te tel nie, ek het hoe bloed onrwikkel met my swangerskap en moet nou permanent op medikasie bly, probeer om jou gewig in toom te hou, dit help baie asook gereelde oefening

Reply to kosie