Question
Posted by: worried | 2004/10/25

pregnancy +HIV

I'm 7wks wks pregnant have taken an HIV test today and I am only going to get the results in 4wks time when I go for my 2nd chechup. How do I get myself prepared for the results should they be +ve.

Folks, why do I keep getting HIV questions here ? HIV testing is supposed to be done ONLY together with a facility for counselling and support, whatever the result. Good comments from our other friends, here

3
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/26

Try not to worry... very hard not to...
there is no preparation for something like this and I hope that your results come back negative... no one expects to be HIV+.

Wait for the results and then cross the bridges from there on.

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/26

Hi W,

Yes the wait is long, but unfortunately thats the worst part about it & is inevitable.
As NP says above, if you have reason to be concerned about being positive, then expect the worst, but hope for the best. Yes confusing, but I guess thats what you're probably doing to yourself right now. Besides, know that there is medication that can be taken that could prevent the baby becoming positive, so don't totally despair, there are options.
Hang in there, coz as you well know, a pregnant lady needs to take care of herself coz the baby goes thru what she goes thru.
I can only suggest further that you try as hard as you can to think about other things in the interim, coz really speaking, I feel it doesn't help to worry about what you don't know. I feel thats wasted energy.
Nothing stops you from taking precautions though.
Remember, above everything else, your strength & well-being is really gonna be important for the baby, so please don't forget to take care of you.

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: No Pro | 2004/10/25

Is there a chance that you are? I would expect the worst if I knew there was a possiblity and when I get the resultants, it wouldn't be such a surprise if I was and I wasn't you'll be over the moon. Please not my nick name, I'm no pro.

Reply to No Pro