Question
Posted by: Buddy | 2004/12/07

Pregnancy - getting old

Good day. I was raped at 11yrs, my mother married 7 times and I have since 11yrs been scared of men and said I would never get married. I am now 41 yrs and have never had sex or been on the pill. I have now met a wonderful man and will be gettng married next year, which will mean that I will have to go on the pill. What do you recommend and till what age will it still be safe - with the necessary testing - to fall pregnant, if I do consider it. I just don't want a 'honeymoon' baby.

As long as you do not smoke and have no risk factors for heart disease, you can use the Pill. Triphasil or Femodene would be good to start with. After 40 years, the risk of Down syndrome increases. This can be tested for with amniocentesis at 16 weeks and you would have the option of a termination if this were the case.

2
Posted by: poeksie | 2004/12/08

Dear Buddy,
I dont know the answer to your question - but I just want to say congrats! it just shows us again that God has a specific plan for each one us - look at you - He has send a wonderfull man to you at this stage in your life! Good luck to you and we all hold thumbs for a little pink foot in your future. I am sure you will make a great mother to any child. I have heard of a few women over 40 that has got babies - I am sure that is also in God's plan for you.

Reply to poeksie
Posted by: Lucky | 2004/12/08

Hi Buddy

I fell pregnant just before I turned 41 - 11 years after my son!
I fortunately had a wonderful pregnancy, all the tests, a c-section birth, and a beautiful daughter! Why not go to your Gynae and let him/her give you a thorough examination - he will be able to discuss your chances of falling pregnant, and if you do, will monitor your pregnancy closely.

Congratulations on your pending wedding, and good luck in your quest to become a mom.

Reply to Lucky