Question
Posted by: L.J. | 2004/12/07

Pregnancy, fatigu & rhesus factor

I'm 32 weeks pregnant nd have two questions.
1) I'm extremely tired. I know that it s normal in the third trimester but this is realy excessive. I can easily sleep for more than 12 - 14 hours a day if I had the time. Become oerly tired after 3 hours of activity. Had a bout of glandular fever a month ago and know this worstens the fatigue, but I'm worried that it mighht be something else eg an iron deficency etc.? Any possible ideas? How would I know about the iron?
2) Had a blood test done yesterday but gynae didn't really explain the reason for it. I'm AB- and hubby O+ so I realise that I will probably have to get an injection o combat Rhesus incompatiiity at birth? Why the bloodtest? Can the incompatibility lead to any risks in mypregnancy, although it is the first baby?

You can check your haemoglobin to see whether you are lacking iron.
The blood test was probably to check for antibodies. It is unlikely that this will be a problem in the first pregnancy, but rarely, it can occur.

1
Posted by: Kate | 2004/12/08

Firstly you tiredness can be normal. You should be sleeping 8 hours a night and may need to nap for an hour or two during the day. But if you really need more, then possibly an iron deficency or being anaemic could be the problem. alk to you gynae about it. But rest as much as you need to.

Your rhesus incompatiblity shoudl not be a problem in your pregnancy. The problem occurs when the mother is negative as the baby is more than likely positive. In your case it should not matter and you shouldn't even need the anti-d injection. Maybe this is a precaution but I think it is unnessecary.

Reply to Kate