Question
Posted by: Bunny | 2004/01/22

Pregnancy diet

I am pregnant with my second child and was 10 kg overweight when I fell pregnant. Is there a diet I can follow to not put on excess weight during my pregnancy? I also intend to breast feed and would like to know what to eat for optimum milk production and not gain weight. Which types of food must I try to avoid altogether?

Dear Bunny
Congratulations with your pregnancy. As you are overweight I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian who will help you plan your pregnancy diet while making provision for your weight. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet which you could use, but you would need to take 2 cups of fat-free milk in addition to provide for the calcium requirements of your baby and yourself. Also click on 'Diet' and 'Eating throughout Life' and read all the articles on 'Pregnancy'.
Enjoy your pregnancy