Question
Posted by: Carmen | 2003/03/06

Pregnancy Caesarean

Dear Doc,

I'm pregnant with my second child.
My first child was born with an Caesarean, Will the same procedure be followed with my second child? or will the doctor do another internal checkup and then decide upon circumstances.

Can I ask for an Caesarean to be done or not?

I'm sure that you can discuss having a repeat caesarean with your doctor. There are small risks with vaginal birth after caesarean section, so repeat caesareans are usually done if that is what you choose. This of course should be weighed up against the risks of an anaesthetic to you.
If you wished to try for a normal birth, the size of your baby, your pelvis and any factors related to the previous operation would be taken into account when deciding on the suitability of this route of delivery.

2
Posted by: Nola | 2003/03/07

I am pregnant with my second child,but have also tested hiv + I need advise on medication & birthing method to reduce risk of MTCT.Please help urgently I am 32weeks pregnant.

Reply to Nola
Posted by: sss | 2003/03/07

DEAR CARMEN

I HAVE A 5 YEAR OLD BOY. BORN BY CAESAREAN, HE WAS PREMATURE AT 36 WEEKS WEIGHING ONLY 2.065. I AM PREGNANT AGAIN AT 36 WEEKS. I PREFER A CAESAREAN. THE REASON, LIKE MY GYNAE SAID IT IS MUCH BETTER FOR THE BABY IF THERE ARE SOME COMPLICATIONS AND ALSO THAT HE IS EXPERIENCING ALLOT OF WOMAN WITH BLADDER PROBLEMS AFTER NORMAL BIRTH. I CHOOSE CAESAREAN BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST FOR MY BABY. I DON'T THINK GYNAE DOC WILL BE HAPPY WITH THIS STATEMENT BECAUSE THE WORLD IS OPSESSED WITH NATURAL BIRTH. WHY NOT A CAESAREAN ? YOU MAY HAVE PAIN BUT BABY WILL BE FINE.

GOOD LUCK

Reply to sss