Posted by: Lee | 2008/07/28

Pregnancy and Weightloss

I am 5 months pregnant and I have gained weight, but I don' t think it' s soley due to baby. I have taken on some bad eating habits...carb overload, eating rubbish cheap snacks (crisps etc), processed foods etc.
Now while I know weightloss isn' t recommended during pregnancy, what if a healthier eating style makes me lose a few kilos. Would that be detrimental to my little one' s well-being and development?
I wouldn' t eat less, just healthier foods and I would keep taking my supplements, but this could lead to slight weightloss. Would this be ok?

Dear Lee
Congratulations on your pregnancy. It is a pity that you have gained weight because of poor eating habits, but you can at least try to change these to healthier ones, which should either cause moderate weightloss or prevent you from gaining even more. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre balanced slimming diet. Because you are pregnant please add 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt, or cottage cheese to your daily intake to ensure that you and baby obtain sufficient calcium. Ask your dr or gynae if you are still allowed to do some form of exercise such as going for walks or swimming (heated pool!) and if the dr gives permission try to get some exercise every day as this also helps with weightloss.
All the best with your pregnancy