Question
Posted by: spiral | 2006/03/31

pregnancy and puppies

I am 16 weeks pregnant and we have a 4 month old puppy. Are there any precautions I should take in my pregnancy and after the birth of my child to ensure our health and our safety?
Our little puppy sleeps outside, although when we do let her in she does like to jump on the bed and couches.

I have heard that my hormones will change and this will affect the dog. Is this true? Is so please can you give me more information.

Practising general good hygiene is generally all that is necessary. Obviously ensure that the puppy is dewormed regularly, as worms can be transmitted to people. This can again be prevented with good hygiene.

It is unlikely your hormones or pregnancy will affect the puppy, other than that it will pick up a change in behaviour around at and may react to that.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2006/03/31

You've probably heard about toxoplasmosis, which is a thing you do NOT want to catch for the first time if you're pregnant... however, you get that from cats, and particularly cat faeces, not dogs. Most people have unwittingly come into contact with it and have developed immunity, but it's possibly worth asking your doctor to check if you have the antibodies, especially if there are cats in your environment. Remember, it's not ONLY from handling litterboxes, cats also do their business in gardens.

As far as your pup is concerned - the best health safeguard of all is making sure your pup is as healthy as possible, which means regular deworming and vaccinations, and the kind of diet that is going to keep her fit and healthy.

Making the pup part of your household is probably a good thing, and of course training it not to go or be where you don't want it to is quite possible with any dog, but especially with such a young 'un. The biggest problem would arise if your baby should have an allergy, but that's something you wouldn't generally know ahead of time.

I'm sure the behaviourist (or others, including the archive) will have information for you on how to handle things so as to develop a good relationship between your pup and the new baby, when it's born.

Personally I think there's nothing better than for kids to grow up with pets - and vice versa. Best of luck with your lot!

Reply to Chill