Question
Posted by: *Karen* | 2007/07/15

Pregnancy and PID

first of all i am a bit worried becasue i read about PID (pelvic inflamatory disease) and i had it about 4 months ago. I never knew it was that serious and that it could cause infertility. what is the chances of it causing infertility if i only had it once? Then im not sure bout this but is it possible for a woman to know/feel she is pregnant before she has taken a test. and can my boyfriend show symptoms of me being pegnant like having rash like marks all over his body. i think i mite be pregnant, havent done a test yet, will do the test after this month. I do have abdominal pain, almost like mild period pain, and its almost permanently, i had these pains for the past 3 weeks.

Dear Karen

It is certainly possible to have fertility problems after even a single bout of PID. This depends to a large extent on the organism (bacteria) causing the infection in the first place and also on the dose of microorganisms contracted.

The major consequence is tubal damage and therefore if you have problems conceiving I would suggest that some form of tubal evaluation be undertaken. This can be done by means of an x-ray called an HSG or alternately a laparoscopy.

The symptoms that you described are rare and should not be relied upon and I would suggest that a pregnancy test be done as soon as possible.