Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2004/10/28

Pregnancy and mumps

Hi, my husband woke this morning with swollen glands, he was in contact with an office worker who had mumps. I am 5 weeks pregnant and would like to know how this affects me and what precautions can be taken?

Natural mumps infection during pregnancy has not been associated with an increased risk of premature delivery or birth defects. However, mumps infections during the first trimester may increase the rate of miscarriages. Birth defects have rarely been reported among children of women who had mumps while they were pregnant, but mumps has not been proven to be the cause of the defects.