Question
Posted by: K | 2007/06/19

Pregnancy and Malaria

We are planning a trip to Zambie in August, but I'm scheduled to have the Mirena removed mid July whereafter we want to try to fall pragnant. I need to take malaria drugs and is a bit worried how long it will stay in my system and if this will affect my chances for conception or if it will affect the fetus, should I fall pregnant shortly after the trip. Many thanx!

It is advisable to avoid malaria areas if there is a chance of pregnancy. Why don't you delay your attemps to fall pregnant by a few weeks. You should not conceive within a week of completing the course.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/20

You cant take malaria drugs whilst pregnant and I think its best to wait at least 3 months after the last malaria pill to be sure that it doesnt affect any pregnancy. I think it would be best to use condoms for 3 months and then plan a pregnancy after that. You really dont want any complications with meds that you have taken.

Reply to Dee