Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2004/11/10

Pregnancy and loosing weight

I would like to lose some weight while pregnant.
I am eating healthy and don't want to be left with all the excess weight after my pregnancy........What do I do?

Dear Michelle
You can use a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), BUT you must add 1-2 cups of extra fat-free milk to ensure that you and baby get sufficient calcium. Ask your dr or gynae if you are allowed to do some exercise (don't do anything that will endanger the pregnancy) and what type he/she recommends. Also keep in mind that some weight gain is essential during pregnancy to ensure that your baby has a normal birth weight as underweight babies develop all kinds of problems in later life. If you started your pregnancy with a normal weight then you can gain 11.5 to 16 kg over the 9 months.