Question
Posted by: Luvuyo | 2008/05/22

Pregnancy and HIV

Iam hiv+ and planning on getting pegnant. I need to know if its compulsory for me to go on arvs when I do fall pregnant. My cd4 is550 and viral load >400

Dear Luvuyo
If you have HIV, you could pass it to your baby during pregnancy, labor, delivery, and breastfeeding. If you are infected with HIV and are not treated, the risk of your baby becoming infected is about 25%. With certain treatments and delivery options, the risk is reduced to about 2%. If you are on ARV's you should continue to take it, but if you have not been on ARV's you should wait until after the first 12 weeks before starting the medication. I would suggest that you see a doctor at a specialized HIV clinic even before trying to fall pregnant to give you the best advice on how exactly you should proceed.