Question
Posted by: janet | 2004/10/25

pregnancy and diet

i am pregnand and would like to know what diet i can follow since i am putting on th kg fast, i am tiered of everyone telling me how fat i am. please i am desperate

Dear Janet
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you started your pregnancy with a normal weight you can gain between 11.5 to 16 kg over the 9 months, so you will have to judge if you have gained more than this in your pregnancy up to now. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Pregnancy'. If you are very overweight then I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with a diet that either helps you to lose some weight or to stay constant till your baby is born, and ensures that you obtain the necessary nutrients for the healthy development of your baby.