Question
Posted by: Happy but Sad | 2007/04/01

Pregnancy and Depression

Hi! I am currently 16 weeks pregnant, and have been suffering from extreme mood swings. At first I attributed it to hormonal changes, etc, but lately it seems more and more like it's not just that! My usual mood swings change rapidly in a matter of 10 minutes, but nowadays I seem to have "good days" and "bad days" instead. I fell so on edge, and am very tightly wound. If I get a fright, from simple things like a strange noise, I become almost catatonic, or I start throwing up. Some days I cannot stop crying, and I feel often like everyone is ganging up on me. My boyfriend says that hormones are making me paranoid. I just wonder if this can be attributed to pregnancy hormones, or if it seems like something more. I really just feel like some days, I really struggle to smile, and the effort of being friendly or nice is just too much to bare. And yet other days I will be almost manically happy and bubbly. Please Help!

Sorry to hear of this, HBS ; there's nothing "just that" about the efefcts of hormonal changes in pregnancy. Mood changes within the space of 10 minutes or so, is not typical of ordinary Depression, and even a daily shift isn't typical. However, whatever exactly is going on, it is uncomfortable and unpleasant, and is likely to respond well to treatment. It'd be wise to see a good local psychiatrist for a good thorough assessment of the situation, and then a discussion of treatment options. These may well be in the direction of counselling. Either way, they deserve accurate assessment ( in person ) and assistance, for the sake of you, your boyfriend, and the baby
Let us know how this works out for you