Question
Posted by: Blossom | 2004/11/03

Pregnancy alert !!!!

My friend is five Months pregnant & started bleeding a month ago. they say her plasenta moved away & is pressing down. This morning she started getting contractions and was rush into hospital. Is it possible that she can be in labour & what is the chances of her baby surviving.

Unfortunately, if she delivers at 4 months, the baby will not survive.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/03

Yes, it is possible that she may be in labour. At this stage they will try to stop her labour if at all possible.

Babies born after 24 weeks do have a chance of survival, though it will be touch and go for a long time. I suggest that you read up on the inernet about prematurity, as your friend might need all the support you can give her.

Encourage her to breast feed, as the body makes special milk for premies that is perfect for them. If she isn't allowed to hold her baby in the early days, she should express milk for tube feeding. She should not introduce a bottle, baby will find it easier to latch onto the breast than a bottle.

If the hospital she is at encourages kangaroo mother care, then her baby has a much higher chance of survivial.

You should do a lot of reading up.

Reply to Purple