Question
Posted by: Confursed woman | 2006/07/17

Pregnancy after artificual insemination

First day of cycle 16 June - I've had artificual insemination on day 13, 14 and 15 of my cycle (28 - 30 June), my periods are always on time, it's already been 3 days past my time. I've done an progresterone and pregnancy test today, on which the doctor told me that the progresterone count are very high, but that the pregnacy test is negative and that I should get it done again on Friday, and that the test might be done to early. Can it be that I'm pregnant?

Dear Confused Woman

It is still possible that the pregnancy may be in the process of developing and that he first pregnancy blood test may not have been sensitive enough to detect this. However, the recommendation that you repeat the blood test is correct and if the result is negative, then I would regard it as a failed insemination cycle.

I would also suggest that an ultra-sound be done to exclude the possibility of ovarian cysts which may accompany a stimulated insemination cycle (use of clomid/fertimed etc).