Question
Posted by: Apple | 2010/10/29

Pregnancy

Hi Diet Doc,
I want to find out if my weight gain is normal thus far in my pregnancy. I started at 54.5kg. I am now at 22weeks and Im weighing 61kg. I do eat more than usual, but its only a sandwich at 10h00 and maybe at 16h00 extra, I also drink 2 - 4 glasses of low fat milk everyday and crave alot of sweet things and coffee the past month, especially after lunch time. Is there anything I can do to decrease these cravings, because most of the time I will buy sweets or drink the coffee when I have the cravings? I do not want to gain too much weight.

Dear Apple
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you started your pregnancy with a normal weight and BMI then you can gain between 11,5 and 16 kg over the 9 months, which represent a gain of about 1 kg to 1,7 kg per month. After about 5,5 months you have gained 6,5 kg or 1,2 kg per month which is not excessive. The fact that you are drinking 2-4 glasses of low fat milk every day is excellent as this will provide you and the baby with the 1200 mg of calcium you need per dag to ensure the development of baby's strong bones and teeth, without you suffering from calcium depletion. If you have cravings for sweets and coffee at lunchtime, then see if eating low-fat, low-GI foods will help. Click on 'DietnFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' to read about the GI. Although it is not a good idea to have an excessive intake of caffeine during pregnancy, having one cup of coffee a day should not be harmful to you or the baby. Going for a walk in the fresh air every day should also help to control your weight. But do not do any exercise without first checking with the dr or gynae who is monitoring your pregnancy.
Enjoy your pregnancy

1

Dear Apple
Enjoy your pregnancy