Posted by: r singh | 2009/06/12


hi would like to know what tests are required during pregnancy to detect any birth defects. and how accurate is it to detect whether one is having a girl or boy baby. is there any other way besides ultrasound to detect.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

A screening test can be done at 13 weeks to look at your risk for Down's syndrome. If the risk is high, an amniocentesis would show whether it is Down's or not. Ultrasound at 20 weeks will detect many of the structural abnormalities but there are some that cannot be picked up at all. The sex can be determined on ultrasound depending on the position of the baby. Amniocentesis will also show the sex.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/15

ur gyneacologist would know better. i did about 9 blood tests so far

Reply to Anonymous

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.