Posted by: ikza | 2008/09/18


my wife is HIV and i' m not. we want to have a child what should we do? what is the procedure?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Ikza

Any procedures in a serodiscordant couple should be handled in a specialized fertility centre that deals with this problem. The first way of helping you as a couple achieve a pregnancy would be artificial insemination. This will avoid you contracting HIV. However if one uses artificial one has to bear in mind that the fallopian tubes must be patent. However you should not consider a pregnancy if you wife’s viral load is high or her CD4 count is low, as this will increase the chances of transmission from the mother to the baby.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: nana | 2008/09/18

go to a Gynaecologist who has interest in HIV, u need a lot more advise thanwe can give here. many doctors aren' t trained in HIV so get one who is trained in that as well, good luck.

Reply to nana

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.