Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2006/07/17

Pregnancy

I am 16 weeks pregnant and want to know if there is any excersise i can do to tone my uppr legs and maybe arms.
I dont want to go crazy and my baby in danger. But im sure there must be some kind of excersise i can do in the comfort of my own home to keep myself in shape?

HI Charlene

There certainly are exercises, though I do have to say that you are best off discussing with a doctor all the time. Pregnant women are by no means tied down to a life of inactivity - in fact, regular exercise improves the chances of a healthy birth, for both baby and mother and so there is no reason to avoid exercise.

Of course, the key is the intensity and the volume - you cannot train like an Olympic athlete and pregnancy is not the time to get fit. however, you can continue to do the normal routine of exercise, if you have done this previously. If not, then you need to get exercise prescribed by a professional, perhaps a doctor, perhaps a biokineticist, but certainly be on the safe side if you can.