Question
Posted by: Jessie | 2006/11/14

Preggers, but scan isn't showing

Please could you help me, I don't know if anyone else has had this experience but I thought I was approx 8 - 9 weeks pregnant (I did a blood test 2 weeks ago & my doc told me I was 6 weeks along), and my last AF was 12 Sept.

I went for my first scan today & my gynae couldn't pick up anything - we didn't see a little bean or anything like that.

I've had another batch of blood tests done, but as far as I know, I'm still pregnant (I haven't had any bleeding at all), so I'm hoping he/ she is just hiding.

Please could you let me know if this is "normal" or if anyone has experienced this before?

Jessie

It may mean that you are earlier than you thought. Other possibiltiies are an ectopic pregnancy or a missed abortion. The serial blood tests should help to work out what is going on.

7
Posted by: Jessie | 2006/11/15

Hi Lou & San

Thanks so much for your advice, I've found another gynae who I'm going to move to also in Constantiaberg (In Cape Town). One of the ladies in the Pregnancy Forum actually went to her & she also moved because of this docs attitude.

I don't need that rubbish right now ;)

Jessie

Reply to Jessie
Posted by: Lou | 2006/11/15

Hi Jessie

San is right, your gynae sounds dreadful. You need a caring and kind doc who has patience and understanding when you are pregnant - there are lots of fantastics ob/gyn's around - make a new posting if you want referrals and give the area you are in.

Glad all is fine!!!!!

Reply to Lou
Posted by: san | 2006/11/15

That is totally uncalled for - on the dr's side...

Maybe you should look around for a new dr. You pay them, and I wouldn't be able to relax about a situation like this either!

Better to move to a new dr, who wouldn't be so rude. There is a long way ahead and you want the best possible care.

Reply to san
Posted by: Jessie | 2006/11/15

Hi San (Sorry I called you Sam in my previous posting)

It turns out everything is ok, I am still preggers, everything is going ok, but she just couldn't see anything on the scan.

I'm so mad with her though, because I'd left a message, asking her to please call me whenever she got my results, and then when she called, she shat me out and told me that we were going to have problems because I couldn't relax about this. When I saw her 2 months ago, she told me I was going to need medication to have a baby, and then I fell preggers so of course I'm really worried about anything happening to my baby - it's like a miracle for me, you know :(

Anyway, enough moaning, I'm just really relieved all is ok & my tests came back all good.

Jessie

Reply to Jessie
Posted by: san | 2006/11/15

I will keep you in my prayers. I really hope that your pregnancy will progress without any problems

Reply to san
Posted by: Jessie | 2006/11/15

Thanks Sam

I really hope the dates are just wrong or that bean is hiding - we didn't see any sac or anything along those lines. My gynae reckons that the blood test isn't accurate in telling how far along I am - I could have twins & be half as far along as what I originally thought.

I also have PCOS, which makes my periods really irregular, so she took that into account when thinking about when I could have ovulated.

Bleh, please please just keep your fingers crossed that all is ok with bean, I'm so so worried :(

Jessie

Reply to Jessie
Posted by: san | 2006/11/15

Your dr may have had your dates wrong.

The bad news is if the dates are correct you should have seen something.

Did he do an internal scan?

With my first pregnancy we also went to the dr and at 8 weeks we could see a sac but nothing inside. I went for two sets of blood tests 48 hours apart (HcG) to see whether the count was getting bigger. It wasn't, I had what they called a blighted ovum and a missed miscarraige (when you don't bleed...)

I had to have a D&C done. Fell preggies again after 5 normal periods.

I hope all is well with your bean and that the dates were just mixed up.

Reply to san