Question
Posted by: BK | 2007/03/14

Preg queries;dates etc

Am pregnant. My last period started on the 13 January 07; my cycle is usually about 32-35 days. How far along am i now? Saw doctor he just confirmed pregnancy told me nothing else.
Very exciting time but what can one take for nausea. I am battling big time. Don't say ginger - please - i can't get it down.

You are about 9 weeks pregnant. Try eating dry biscuits or toast and have small fequent meals. There are medications you can take if it is really bad, but these need prescription by your doctor.

3
Posted by: S | 2007/03/14

Yes, it is and unfortunately it will get a bit worse as your pregnancy progresses. As your uterus is swelling to accommodate your baby, it presses against all your intestines and ultimately against your lungs, thats why you will experience the shortness of breath. There is a lovely website called babycentre.co.uk
Go there and register, then they will send you weekly updates on how big your baby is now and when they can hear, etc, etc. They also have lots of useful information for first time moms and moms in general! Enjoy and remember to relax!

Reply to S
Posted by: BK | 2007/03/14

Thank you so much S i really appreciate your efforts. I'm a tiny bit nervous for this pregnancy but i am hopeful and praying that God will bless us with a healthy pregnancy and child if it is his will! This site is really awesome. Thank you again. One more thing if anyone can help - is shortness of breath normal?

Reply to BK
Posted by: S | 2007/03/14

Congrats! 20th October is your due date! The morning ( all day ) sickness gets better round about 12 weeks, you are now 8½ weeks pregnant!

Here some remedies I got from the Internet.

General Remedies:
Avoid warm places as heat can increase the nausea feelings.
Take naps during the day (but not right after eating). Tiredness plays a big part in morning sickness.
Get enough sleep at night.
Get out of bed slowly in the morning.
Try eating plain crackers or dry cereal before you get out of bed in the morning.
Smells:
Open windows or turn on exhaust fans when cooking and after meals.
Cooking in the microwave usually produces less odors.
Silly as it sounds, carry a handkerchief with a few drops of a non nausea causing essential oil (lemon for example) in it and breath through it if you can't get away from the smell that is bothering you.
Food and Drink:
Avoid greasy or spicy foods as they often cause nausea or heartburn.
Eat what you want when you want it. Your cravings will not lead you the wrong way.
Have frequent protein snacks. (Low fat meats and seafood, nuts, eggs and beans are high protein.)
Eat smaller meals every two hours or so.
Eating something salty before a meal can help you "make it through" a meal.
Do not drink fluids with your meals.
Non caffeinated teas like peppermint and ginger can help calm nausea.
Drink small amounts of fluids regularly though out the day to avoid dehydration.
Do not skip meals if you can help it.
Avoid spicy and fried food - both eating and smelling it can increase your nausea.
Cold food may have less nausea inducing smells associated with them.
Supplements:
Try taking your prenatals later in the day.
Talk to your doctor about:
Vitamin B6 - 50 mg. daily. Vitamin B6 has been shown to help with pregnancy induced nausea.
Ginger capsules: 250 mg. three times daily. Ginger has long been associated with alleviating nausea.
Ask your doctor if you can stop taking your Prenatals temporarily to see if the nausea diminishes. You may still need to take a Folic Acid supplement to help protect your baby.
Talk to your doctor about not taking iron supplements unless you are anemic. Iron supplements can be hard for your stomach to deal with.

Hope this helps!

Reply to S