Question
Posted by: charlene | 2004/11/17

preconception diet

Good-day to you doc.

I am a 23 year old woman that would like to have a baby, but before I can do that I first need to sort myself out.
I do intend on taking prenantal supplements to build up my insides, but what I need most importantly is a healthy eating plan that I can stick to.
I've already given up coffee & smoking, but what else can I do to make sure that my body is ready.
I have had 2 previous miscarraiges & want to be extra careful this time.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Many thanks,
Charlene

Dear Charlene
I am sorry to hear about your miscarriages - did the dr determine what caused them? If not, it may be a good idea to consult a gynae this time around. You seem to be on the right track by giving up the smoking and taking some supplements to build you up. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and read the articles on 'Balanced Diets' to get an idea of what you need to eat. I trust that the prenatal supplements include omega-3 fatty acids? If not, try taking Salmon oil capsules. You do need to ask the gynae which supplements you must stop before actually falling pregnant as excessive intakes of the fat-soluble vitamins A, and D may cause problems.
I sincerely hope that you do have a successful pregnancy.