Question
Posted by: zara | 2004/01/22

pre school childs diet

hi.my daughter aged 5 , weighs approx.22kgs and is quite tall for her age.obesity is in the family so i am concerned about her diet . i am trying to lose weight myself so i have started a healthy eating programme at home but i am not sure if my daughter is having the correct amounts.here is an example:

breakfast: (7.am}1/2 cup cereal +1/2 cup skim milk

at school[10.am} 1 junior juice-200ml+ 40g wholewheat crackers(vitasnacks)+1/4 cup butternut cubes+2 baby carrots+ 2 small slices polony+ 2 tsp low fat mayo.

approx.2pm- 1/2 cup rice +1/4 cup green beans+ 1chop+1/2 tsp fat. water

4pm-fruit-handful grapes + 1 plum
water+1 nutriday yoghurt

dinner-7.30pm- 1 portion extra light crumbed hake fillet-baked+1 cup veg.ie. gem squash,butternut sweet potato,carrot.-approx 1/4 tsp marg. water

pls advise.thank you

Dear Zara
At present your daughter's weight is not excessive for her age: the average weight for children of 5 years is 22 kg and the average height is about 112 to 119 cm. The diet you describe, is good but as a growing child your daughter needs some additional milk or yoghurt to provide the calcium required for bone and tooth formation. If you click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' you will find examples of what children of her age require and also an example of menus - compare with your basic eating plan and make the necessary adjustments. As she is not actually overweight at present, you can prevent this from occurring by making sure that she is physically active. Start exercising together as this will also help you to lose weight.
Keep up the good work.