Question
Posted by: lin | 2007/07/10

pre-pregnancy vitamins

i am 37 and planning to have another baby. are there pre-pregnancy vitamins or supplements i should be taking in order to prevent down syndrome or any other abnormalities. and can one do tests prior to conceiving making sure abnormalities will not occur? i would rather make sure now than at a later stage as abortion is a no no for me.

Folate helps prevent spina bifida, but ther eis nothing to prevent Down syndrome. this has to do with the age of your eggs.
There are no tests that can be done before pregnancy. They can only be done by looking at the fetal cells when you are pregnant.

2
Posted by: Les1 | 2007/07/10

A good vitamin is DS24, the cost for 30 caps. is about R60.00 but it is very good, I have been taking it while on fertility treatment as recommended by my specialist.

Reply to Les1
Posted by: anon | 2007/07/10

you should start taking folic acid.

Reply to anon