Question
Posted by: Nini | 2005/12/01

Pre-eclampsa

To the Gynae

I was pregnant 3yrs and I lost my baby at 6mths due to pre-eclampsa. I am now 8wks pregnant and worried about the same thing happening again, what are the chances that I can get that again, what can I take to prevent it from occuring. Secondly; what is the correct time to go to the gynae, I have my second appointment on the 12 Dec and some of my friends says I went to the gynae to early, the latest for me was suppose to be on my 4th month. I want to make an informed decision taking the fact of my previous mishap.

The chance of recurrence is about 20%. You can take low dose aspirin and folate to decrease recurrence risk.
With your past history, you should see the gynaecologist as soon as possible (the 12th is fine) though pre-eclampsia does not really occur before 20 weeks. The aspirin can be started after 12 weeks.

4
Posted by: Nini | 2005/12/02

Thank you very much Shez. To Chantal, I am not sure if the symptoms are the same to everyone but with me I had a terrible headache, red eyes, swollen hands, feet and face. I went to our company GP who told me that it was normal for a pregnant women to have something swollen during this period until I went to my GP over the weekend who book me into the hospital because my blood pressure was so high and the baby's heart was now very faint and not kicking anymore. This was a very devastating time for me because the doctors couldn't do anything for the baby.

Reply to Nini
Posted by: Chantal | 2005/12/01

Guys, could you please advise what your sympoms were??

I was already overweight when I fell pregnant and even though I have managed not to pick up any weight (I'm serious), I'm scared it will happen to me. I'll be 24 weeks on Sunday and my blood pressure is currently 130/90.

This is my first pregnancy and I'm hoping that by your giving me the signs to look out for, that I'll be able to minimise the risk to my baby.

I am watching my diet now and except for the occasional glass of coke, I've been eating quite healthy.

Reply to Chantal
Posted by: Shez | 2005/12/01

oops forgot to mention about the gynae dates.
dont worry about what your friends say, stick to your appts that you have scheduled to see your gynae.
6-8 weeks onwards is a good time to see him/her cos by then, they can pick up the baby's heartbeat.

Reply to Shez
Posted by: Shez | 2005/12/01

Hi Nini,
Im not Gynaedoc, but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
I also had pre-eclamsia with my 1st pregs, luckily it was towards the end of my pregnancy and my son could be safely born at 35 weeks.
Im now preggies with baby 2 and Im currently 6 weeks and so scared that its going to happen again.
Unfortunately no one knows how this is caused so there is nothing we can take or not take to prevent it happening. I did post a while ago to Gynaedoc about pre-eclamsia and she said its not common in the 2nd or 3rd pregnancy.
Let hope all goes well for us then. Good luck to you and all the best.

Shez

Reply to Shez