Posted by: Shake it up | 2008/07/07

Power plate new super hero?

The profile of the prospective user (a family member) is early twenties, has some low muscle tone (about 5% loss?) from birth defect (hydrochephalus & fitted with VP shunt). Has had surgery to correct hip defect (upper leg bone surgery - bilateral) at age 3. Maintains fitness due to demands of physical requirements for his job and very eager to find something else other than swimming to assist muscle strengthening - also suffers from backache - think posture related and lifting people as part of his job - althoug with assistance. Would you recommend Power Plate which he is very eager to pursue?

I think that the powerplate would be a useful addition to the training routine in this case, but I would certainly not view it as the "answer" - it's the tool, nothing more, and one of many possible tools.

in terms of how to integrate the powerplate into the routine, that's another question - i don't know that anyone has really ever looked at that methodically and figured out what works best in terms of dose, intensity and frequency. So I don't want to prescribe any of these things, that would be a dicey proposition. So I'm not sure of the situation, where he would get access to a Powerplate, but I think it would be prudent to consult a trainer in putting the programme together.