Posted by: Vicky | 2008/08/28

Power Plate Machine

What are your thoughts on the effectiveness of the Power Plate machine? I' ve heard conflicting reports and wonder whether it' s worth using them.

Hi Vicky

They have some merits, certainly. The problem is that the marketers go crazy and then next you know the machine does everything and anything you could ever want. So having initially developed as having quite good effects as a means for injury rehabilitation, it soon developed into a machine that was guaranteed to cause weight loss, improve fitness, immune name it. And so the credibility is undermined by this exaggeration.

The only evidence that exists and that is credible and sound is for injury rehab and prevention, balance and joint strength. It's quite useful for that purpose. But for weight loss and fitness, the jury's still out. You'd have a hard time convincing me that it's better than cardio exercise like running or cycling or aerobics for weight loss purposes.

Posted by: lerien | 2008/11/01

I am a physiotherapist and have a Power Plate Studio for nearly 3 years.
Like Fitnessdoc sayd, because of all the wonderfull things they claim the powerplate masjine can do, people bacame sceptic.
From own experience, I have to say that the best results I see on a daily basis is with rehabilitation to gain strength, mobility and endurance. People definitely loose centimetres, just because the muscle tone incresased and they toned.
You can do different exercise programs on the powerplate i.e. aerobic step exercises. Combining the benifits from the powerplate with cardio- exercise, result in fat-burning.
Again it is just a masjine and it is as good as the operator or instructor!
Be Aware!

Reply to lerien