Question
Posted by: zoe | 2007/02/24

power maxx

What is you opinion on the new Power Maxx plate from Glomail. They claim that the machine improves blood circulation, bone strenght and it strenghtens muscles by using "whole body vibration therapy." Its on the market for R3000. Do you think this product can work by toning up your muscles or do you think its a waste of time? Thanks for your time!

Hi Zoe

Good questions, and I must be honest that I don't know of anything conclusive that allows me to either say yes or no. There is some scientific evidence that it may work, though that's not the power plate specificially but other devices similar to it. So I think what has probably been done is that they have adapted the equipment and produced it in a cost effective manner. Now that means that there are most likely some changes and the key is what they are. I don't know enough to comment, so I won't guess, but what I will say is that one must be very careful about believing marketing promises. The product won't do exactly what it says it will, maybe it will do half of that, but not all. And so it's really important that you are realistic about it, and understand that it probably won't do what it claims. It may do it a tiny bit, but you have to ask what you compare it to? Because compared to going into the gym and lifting weights, it is probably far inferior. But compared to sitting on a couch doing nothing, it's probably pretty good.