Question
Posted by: Kerstin | 2007/05/25

Potassium inportance

I have all too often heard the importance of potassium and how low potassium is so very dangerous and if you have low they have to give you potassium very slowly as it is so dangerous for the heart and can cause a heart attack if not administered very slowly. My question is I am now taking a mineral base powder every day once a day. In this powder there is potassium bicarbonate 783mg and potassium citrate 870mg. Is it safe to take this daily even if perhaps your potassium levels are fine, is it not that one does this blood check on a regular basis so one never actually knows if you are low or perhaps high. Could you maybe help clarify this.

Thank you !!

Hi Kerstin
You have to check your blood levels now and then - and stop the powder if the levels go too high. You can draw blood monthly for 3 months to see if the level goes up or stabilizes and then only check every 3 months.