Question
Posted by: Melaany | 2007/05/31

potassium 1049 same ques

I too would like to know the info that the person on posting 1049 put in, this is a question a few people want to know since so much talk about it and tv programmes on it. It was on a reality show unexplained illnesses !

Dear Melaany
As I said to Karin "I would not take any product that potentially contains about 1000 mg of potassium unless you have been diagnosed with a potassium deficiency. Potassium and sodium are minerals that we need to maintain what is called 'the electrolyte balance' in our tissues. If you overload your system with potassium this will cause an imbalance in electrolytes and may cause similar symptoms to potassium deficiency (muscle weakness) and harm the kidneys. Potassium is one of the most abundant minerals in foods, so it is rare for anyone without a direct medical condition, to develop potassium deficiencies. All you need to do is to eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains and legumes and you will ingest more than sufficient potassium. As regards taking vitamin and/or mineral supplements, the most recent research indicates that taking excessive doses of vitamins A, D and E may be harmful and even increase deaths! The current advice is not to take supplement every day unless prescribed by your dr or dietitian for a deficiency. Calcium is an exception because most of us don't ingest the 1000 mg we need on a daily basis, so if you don't drink 3 cups of milk or yoghurt a day, then taking a calcium supplement may be necessary."