Question
Posted by: Sad and anxious | 2004/01/27

Postpartum depression treatment

I have postpartum depressionfor the 3rd time (3rd child) and was successfully treated with Prozac previously. This time I suffered bad anxiety and my doctor took me off Prozac and has put me on Tydamine. I feel very lethargic and tired for most of the day and have doubts about this drug. Please advise me as to the commonly successful treatments for Postpartum depression and what you think about the Tydamine vs Prozac. What else could you suggest? I am becoming desperate to feel better and am currently non-functional

Dear S&A,
Tydamine has the chemical name of Trimipramine, also an antidepressant, but one with the potential to be as sedative as you sem to have found it. It's unfortunate that if one has had postpartum depression after one pregancy, the chances of it after later pregancies are fairly high. As you responded well to Prozac the previous two times, I'd have thought that it made sense, if a change was thought wise, to try a different member of the same (SSRI) family of antidepressants, like Cilift ( the cheaper.equivalent form of Cipramil ) or Aropax. They ought to help you become functional again.

1
Posted by: Cleo | 2004/01/27

I strongly recommend that you go to the website
drugawareness.org to find out more about the drugs you are either taking or want alternatives to, what they do or don't do for you, the long term effects etc. If after you have read this you are interested, I can recommend a solution to your problem which DOESNT involved drugs at all, nor hypnotism, nor crystal healing, nor meditation nor witchcraft, nor any other 'funny' stuff - just plain simple and more importantly REAL help.

Reply to Cleo