Posted by: Tashy | 2012/09/03

Postnasal drip driving me insane

HI there CD, am hoping you might be able to help. Can u suggest anything for CHRONIC post nasal drip, I am this close to bursting into tears. Mucous slides down the back of my throat steadily the whole day long, it cannot be blown up and I can''''t cough it up. The whole day it just slides down my throat. There is a permanent bad taste at the back of my mouth and let''''s not talk about the bad breath issues, which are inevitable.

I have tried nasal irrigation and for about 45 mins after, I am okay then the mucous builds up again and slides down again. While that iffy mucous is sliding down the back, clear runny mucous is coming out the front, I blow it out all day but it does not reduce the other mucous going backwards.

I do have sinus and allergy issues, we all do in the family. Every day of my life, I sneeze, my ears itch, my throat itches my nostrils itch and my eyes get dry and tight, but I suffer PND worst, that is my greatest misery. Allergex and various anti-histamines do not help longer than a hour or so, nor does using a humidifyer. My greatest allergy, when I consider when I am most in trouble, must be dust mites as I am seriously stuffed up and backed up and sneezy when in bed. There is some relief once I stand up and start my day.

I went to the dentist for awful ''toothache'' up in my jaw, only for him to tell me it is sinus infection. I now wonder if the splitting migraines I frequently get are also sinus related. Just how bad can the whole bad sinus picture get? Help!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


You will have to consult an ENT specialist for an examination. It is possible that you have chronic allergic rhinitus, with a secondary bacterial infection. You will need a course of oral antibiotics, as well as oral cortico-steroids and cortico-steroid nasal spray. It is possible that you also might need surgery. I am convinced that your headaches are related to your sinusses and once you receive the correct treatment, you should feel much better.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.