Posted by: Sharon | 2011/11/02

Postnasal drip

7 yr old has rhinitis and suffers daily since birth with postnasal drip. She gets put onto anti-biotics by Dr yearly but doesn''t seem to clear it. Also daily supposed to get Zertec. Should I take her to a specialist or will the GP do. Also my 4 yr old is very loud and GP says there''s no ear infection - I wonder about her hearing. What does ENT specialist do more than a GP?
Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Sharon

Your children would benefit from an ENT evaluation, firstly your four year old may be suffering from Otitis Media with Effusion. If you are uncertain, an Audiogram may show if your child can hear or not. You should not play around with your child's hearing, especially if you are worried. Get the problem sorted, as failure to do so will lead to problems in later life, especially in school.
Your seven year old may be suffering from allergies, you should have this looked at by an ENT.
In both these cases your ENT opinion will be better as an ENT has specialized in this field and will be able to advise you if you are on the right track. Both of these problems could have longterm effects on their quality of life, so it would be better to get some specialist advice on the way forward.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.