Posted by: Ron | 2008/10/15

post workout nutrition

Hi Vanessa,

I have been taking a mass builder shake post workout. It has loads of carbs in it and aminos, protein, vitamins, etc. and has worked very well for me.

It is becoming a bit expensive though. If I were to stop the shake and try get all the nutrients from food, what sort of things would I have to eat after training to gain weight/size? I have a fast metabolism so battle to pick up weight. What could i eat that is loaded with carbs?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Ron

Liquid food is always the best option post-training and therefore we do not really use proper food at that point – thus I would suggest high GI carbs that you will find in cold drinks or energy drinks – a tin and an energade / powerade contains about 35 carbs per serving – I think your shake might have contained double that – thus you will need 2 such drinks – if that is still too tight for your budget I suggest you use sugar - 1 tablespoon contains about 45 calories which equates to about 11 carbs – make your own cold drink with the sugar. Alternatively you could eat 1-2 cups mashed potatoes. The difficult part is to include the liquid protein – the best option here is milk or yoghurt and you will never hit such high levels of protein as with a shake - thus I suggest you perhaps spend your money on a whey protein to consume after your cold drink and to mix the whey into milk to give you a high calorie meal.

Lastly if you battle to add on muscle weight you need to increase your intake of calories – eat extra cereals and sweet potato to increase such.

Take care.

Posted by: Mmmmmm | 2008/10/29

dextrose/Glocose(High GI carb) powder is also quite cheap. Take within 15 mins with your whey shake.

Reply to Mmmmmm
Posted by: Kasandra | 2008/10/15

Hi ron i know the feeling i take the evox whey PS straight after training and evening it is so expensive. I would never be able to give it up thou my body craves it and i dont like protein. You should post on the bodybuilding website they are very helpful. Good luck!

Reply to Kasandra