Question
Posted by: queen ziggy | 2004/03/08

Post tkr knee pain

I have battled for a number of years with crippling knee pain. Three years ago I had a knee replacement for osteoarthritis and a year later had a revision on the lower prosthesis done due to loosening. I was told that the fist orthopod had not aligned my leg properly. But not being one to point fingers accepted this and was convinced revision would fix all. I have noticed that my knee rotates inwardly when standing and puts strain on all the areas that hurt. I can not bend my leg more than about 30 degrees and it gets increasingly stiff everytime I walk or do any form of exercise. If I go to bed and dont move the pain improves as does the amount I can bend it. My question is am I correct in assuming that the rotation on my knee with my foot pointing forward could be the direct cause of my stiffness and pain?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Queen Ziggy

Sounds about right. The body likes correct alignment and if things are not in place they begin to hurt. You need to work on gentle ways to get the range of movement more than 30 degrees, and the best way is not reduce the inflammation in the knee. Where are you based - you will need to e-mail me directly at douglash@netactive.co.za - lets see if I have someone who could help you.

Douglas