Question
Posted by: Jim | 2007/08/15

post surgery zinc supplements

Hello, I hope this finds you well.
After a double hip replacement, a friend suggested I take zinc to aid in the healing of the incision. I found a daily supplement of 50mg but from what I've read this seems like it could be too much. Is it safe to continue with this dosage?
I received the first surgery on June 8th and the second on July 20th. I'm a 58 year old active male and healing very well. But of course, it's not going fast enough.
Thanks for reading this and good afternoon,
Jim

Dear Jim
They have given up to 40mg of Zinc per day to promote healing but if your zinc levels are normal, it won't make a huge difference. Normal daily allowance is about 10 - 12 mg per day for an adult.
See http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/zinc.html
Anyway, hope you get better soon!

1
Posted by: MrN | 2008/02/25

Please advise what foods would boost the healing process. My aunt aged 76 and a diabetic - insulin dependent has had a minor op on the big toe. The toe nail was removed and the healing process is taking some time. The topical treatment of betadine, wound dressing etc has formed a scab which had to be removed. This resulted in the underlying tissue needing treatment again. So the healing has started all over again. She can follow a vegetarian diet if this would help.
Many thanks and regards

Reply to MrN