Question
Posted by: Chorsey | 2006/07/28

Post-Surgery Anxiety

I recently had surgery *my third in five years* and ever since I woke up from the anesthesia I've been an emotional train wreck. I feel like i am going to just break apart at any second!! I've never had anything like this happen to me before in my life after my other surgeries!! Please let me know WHAT this is, and WHAT to do! It's awful. I can't sleep, i have no appetite, I am just a bag of nerves. I'm jumpy and can't focus. This is not me, and I'm scared. Any advice?

I wonder, too, what is happening here. Any surgery can be highly stressful. Usually more so than the surgeon realizes or recognizes, and often more than the patient expects. The best course of action in the situation you describe, would be the usual best practice --- to see a good local shrink for a thorough assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options based on the findings. This is probably an uncomfortable but very treatable acute anxiety disorder, and could be helped by CBT counselling and perhaps some temporary medication