Question
Posted by: Swollen Mum | 2007/11/28

Post Pregnancy Stomach

hi there
this is not exactly a gynae problem but im hoping other women on this forum could assist.

i have given birth to 2 children over the last 2 1/2 years - one in march 2005 and the second in february 2007! im struggling to get rid of my "preggy" tummy and i still look as if im 6 months pregnant. I dont have time to exercise with 2 small kids to go home to at night and i travel a long way (1 h 30 mins) each way to work and back every day so im exhausted by the time im done at nights with the kids bath/dinner and so on.....

Im devastated at the amount of people who have been asking me when my next baby is due! I have tried to diet but ive only managed to lose 1.5kgs over a month and my stomach still looks HUGE!

Does anyone have advice a) on how to handle those rude people who ask me if im pregnant again or b) the quickest easiest way to try get my tummy muscles to go back to normal again?

Your response would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Swollen Mum

I hope that Robar's advice helps.

2
Posted by: Swollen Mum | 2007/11/29

Thank you sooooooooooo much i really appreciate all the time you took to write me such a nice long reply with lots of good dieting and exercise advice! Its good to know im not the only one suffering also coz all the other post pregnant women seemt o lose their weight without effort!!

Reply to Swollen Mum
Posted by: robar | 2007/11/28

I really know what u r going thru!! Especally time wise. And I only have ONE baby who is almost 1 year and I am still battling.
The things I have found most helpful:
1) Even it is 5 minutes in the morning and evening (and I know we can ALL spare 5min.) for the tummy is crunchies. This is definitley not fun but try lying on the bed to begin with, your legs danglig off the edge. Arms crossed in front and lift your head and shoulders up while pushing your belly button towards your spine, remember to breath. Try 5 of those repeat 3 times. Increase gradually and try lift yourself higher without any strain on the back.
2) Leg up's: Lie straight on the bed with your knees lined up with the edge, straight. Lift your legs together (pressed together) while breathing. You will notice it will be quite difficult to do even three, so the slower you do these two exercises, the more effective.
3) Do u have lunch break? If so, maybe a vigorous walk around the building? If it's not safe to do so, you can go into the loo and do 50 "jumping jacks". You will see once u start u will get more energy and this will help u to do more exercise which will help even more!
4) I started a good eating plan

So basically, what it boils down to, is how badly u want to get rid of the tummy. But I think u have to want to do it for yourself and not for other's benefit.

And we must remember that once we have babies that for most "normal" woman our shape is never really the same. But that doesn't mean we must give up and resign ourselves to looking pregnant and drowning our sorrows in bad food.

BIG HINT:- No fried foods
Cut down on marge and have low fat spread.
No white bread - use brown bread (low GI or Slim slice)
Fat free milk, restrict to 250 ml' per day
at least 2 fruit per day
5 serving of veggies
Cut back on potato and white rice
cut back on coffee and tea but plenty of Rooibos if u like (and u have to use your milk for the day for these cups so use wisely and sparingly)
NB EAT BREAKFAST (BRAN OR PRONUTRO) AND DRINK AT LEAST 5 GLASSES WATER EVERY DAY.

And please have treat now and again so u don't feel hard done by. And if u slip up, don't give up!!

I have been "trying for about 8 months and have "only" lost 5.5kg BUT i now get to wear a size 36 skirt instead of a 38 or 40.

As far as the tummy and looking pregnant, I bought a corset from the local health shop which is like a giant blue belt that pulls everything in. It helps u to "remember to keep your tummy in! Just as good as sit-ups! Remember sit up straight and every now and then imaginge "pulling" your beely button towards your spine and HOLD... now breat out!Try a few of those and u will discover muscles u didn't know u even owned!!

I don't know too much but am always willing to listen and try come up with a solution that is effective. Email:

Reply to robar